This blog has been moved to Redwerb.com.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Beware sports fans, watching a certain game this weekend might make you a criminal

According to the NFL, watching the Game-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named (sounds like stupor troll) this Sunday might make you a violator of copyright law.

According to numerous news articles I've read lately, the NFL has asked the Fall Creek Baptist Church to halt their plans for watching the game by citing violations in copyright law. According to these articles, the NFL has stated that watching the game on a television larger than 55 inches is a violation of copyright law. I hope you kept your small screen TV around :). Apparently it's against copyright law to use the name in a promotion as well. I'm sure there is more to the story than what is reported, but I was unable to find a copy of this policy on the website for the Game-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

I can understand them getting upset at people that charge admission to watch the game, but it seems that this is a bit ridiculous. Does this mean you can't have your neighbors over to watch the game? You can't watch the game if you bought that 61 inch TV? I would like to see them try to enforce something like this. It would be interesting to see if a court would uphold the screen size or limit the number of guests for a party that included showing the game. Does all copyrighted material have similar restrictions?

It will be interesting to see if angering Christians just before the big game will effect the ratings. I've already received emails from people asking me to boycott the game. I certainly won't be watching the game on Sunday. Of course, I don't watch sports anyway so it's not much of a threat :).

If you do watch the game, let me know if the Go Daddy commercials are any good. I am all for the "sex sells" philosophy of advertising :). Their website includes commercials that have been rejected by whoever it is that approves the commercials (thank Gore for the Internet).

No comments: